Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What's her name? by Mary Abshire


Today  I hand over my blog to fellow Lyrical Press author Mary Abshire, who's here to tell us a little more about her Project Eve series and share a blurb and excerpt. Welcome, Mary!

* * * *

The first book in my Project Eve series is The Awakening. It's a bit of a mystery as a young woman wakes up at a dump with dead bodies surrounding her. She's the only one living. Strangely, she doesn't remember her name or have any memories. Two investigators, one human and one vampire, find her.

In little time, she finds a few clues. She finds two receipts in her pocket and a special dagger in her boot with the initials SB. Jonas, the human investigator, decides to call her Stephanie. Throughout the story, they search for the person responsible for the murders and try to joggle her memories. What they learn surprises all of them. She's unlike any creature in the world, which makes her valuable to some and dangerous to others.

Demons and werewolves add to the action and suspense in the book. One of my favorite scenes is when she meets Jackson. I pictured the scene in my head and he instantly became a favorite of mine. Originally, I hadn't planned on having werewolves in the story. After I finished the book, I went back to beef it up and added Jackson. I'm so glad I did because werewolves played a big role in the second book.

Getting back to SB, nobody knows who she is, where she's from or how she came to be what she is. She's one big walking mystery and everyone has an interest in her. By the end of the book, she discovers her name and the person responsible for the murders at the dump. But the end leaves the reader wanting more. I didn't give all the answers. Sorry.

I left several items out of The Awakening because I had the second book, The Quest, planned in my head already. She knows who the murderer is and the reason why over thirty people died, so now she wants justice.

The same cast return in The Quest. The mystery continues and there's more tension along with an order for her death. The person who stole her memories appears and provides shocking news. But she continues to seek retribution. She's determined and no body will stop her. Not an assassin. Not a servant to Lucifer. Not even the vampire God of the Underworld.

If you like action, mystery, suspense, and various supernatural creatures, I invite you to check out my Project Eve series.

Blurb:

Retribution. At any cost.

Now that she knows her name and what she is, she wants justice for everything she’s lost. Though her memories elude her, she takes a job for a half-demon Senator and, aided by werewolves from a local clan, intends to uncover evidence that will convict the Senator of more than thirty murders.

Getting to the Senator and finding the necessary evidence is more difficult than she anticipates, especially when there is a bounty for her death. If that were not enough, the vampire who stole her memories returns and reveals unexpected truths. But she’s not going to let anything stop her. Not a sadistic assassin or a servant or Lucifer. Not even her ex-lover, the vampire God of the Underworld. Nothing will stop her from claiming retribution...even if the price is her life.


An excerpt:

From the main level, I rode an elevator to the basement. As I walked through the tunnel, toward the capital, clusters of government employees passed by. Unlike the other days when I came to work, men and women wore suits and chatted with serious looks on their faces. None of them carried lunch bags in their hands. I wondered if they'd come from a meeting or were going to one.

I reached the elevator to get to the subbasement and hit the button. While I waited for my ride, I scanned the area around me. The empty hall showed no signs of trouble and the voices of those who'd passed recently faded. I breathed in a relieving breath, finding myself alone and safe.

The ding of the elevator alerted me to its presence. The doors opened and a crowd of men and women in professional attire walked out. I stepped aside, staying clear of their path.

“Good evening, Shelley,” said an evil voice from behind me.

Since I had vampire hearing and hadn't heard her approaching, the bitch must have misted to appear near me. My blood boiled with anger. I hated the charmed bracelet on my ankle, preventing me from utilizing my demon and angel abilities.

With my jaw clamped so tight my teeth could've chipped, I glanced over my shoulder. She stood alone and dressed in a red suit.

“I didn't hear you coming,” I said in a rude tone.

Her lips formed a devilish smile. “You won't.”

Heat flamed within me, causing me to perspire. My clothes, damp from my dash through the rain, began to feel even wetter. The demon in me wanted out, wanted to rip her to shreds. Fortunately for her, the angel in me held the demon back.

After a few nods from the people passing, I strode onto the empty elevator. The bitch followed me and stood at the opposite side with her arms crossed. Alone with the Senator, I picked up her demon scent mixed with some other citrus type of perfume. The two odors mixed with the sight of the Senator made my stomach churn.

Once the doors closed, we faced each other. She had a feral look in her eyes, but I felt no fear. I had zero doubt I could kill her with my bare hands. She knew I could too, given she knew I had vampire strength. Her charmed bracelet couldn't freeze all supernatural abilities.

“I'm surprised you decided to show up this evening.” Galluzzi smirked.

I clenched the strap of my purse tighter. She obviously knew about the attack on me at Boss's house. Did she think she could provoke me?

I stepped closer to her and stood a foot from her face, glaring at her. “I'm not easy to get rid of.”

Emotion drained from her face. “No, you're not, but I have my ways.” She lifted her chin, displaying her arrogance. “Setbacks are normal in life, but I always win.”

Sweat trickled down the back of my neck. What would happen if I killed her in the elevator? Every bit of me wanted to see her dead now, instead of hung out in front of the world as a criminal. She deserved far worse. She deserved death.

Buy links:


1 comment: