Saturday, September 17, 2022

The Sagas of Ragnar Lodbrok by Ben Waggoner

Staying with my dive into the old Northern myths and legends, I gave The Sagas of Ragnar Lodbrok, as translated by Ben Waggoner, a spin as it was included in my Audible subscription. Narrated by Ray Chase, whom I admit I needed a little time to grow accustomed to after my binging on similar content narrated by Jackson Crawford, this proved to be an equally fascinating listen.


Although, if pressed, I'll admit that I struggle with particulars of names and exact events, this was nonetheless an engaging offering that cast light on my ancestors' pre-Christian cultural heritage. And if I'm ever looking for story seeds, there're more than enough here for me to live up to my Viking ancestors doings and pillage to my heart's content. 

Ragnar Lodbrok with his hairy pants and serpent-slaying prowess is certainly a fascinating figure, especially in terms of him portrayed as a trickster and warrior. I've watched most of Vikings on Netflix, which I'd say is only *roughly* based on the doings of this legendary figure. And when I say roughly, I really do mean roughly. Though I can see how the screenwriters' heavy-handed foreshadowing about a snake pit came about. Admittedly, I've stalled on watching the fourth season because, frankly, I've grown bored. The actual source material is far more exciting – or at least how I picture things in my head while I listened. And I admit I have a rather vivid imagination. It takes quite a lot for a show or movie to live up to my expectations. At least while reading or listening to the audiobook, I am free to create my own visuals.

Fatalism, treachery, violence, the inescapability of one's wyrd – these are all recurring themes in any of the old Norse sagas, and The Sagas of Ragnar Lodbrok are no exception. Ragnar is, at the end, a victim of his own hubris, and watching his inevitable downfall as well as the epic doings of his many children is great entertainment. But I've got to wonder about heroes who act in ways that would class them as TSTL* in a modern-day work of fiction. I guess knowing that a tragedy is unfolding is what makes this all worth the journey. Not to mention the occasional pearls of wisdom one uncovers.

*Too stupid to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment