Friday, September 27, 2024

The Northmen by JD Franx

I unashamedly admit that the primary reason why I picked up this audiobook is because it's read by Simon Vance*, who could read me a telephone directory and I'll be riveted. But anyhoo, I will add that I warmed up to The Northmen by JD Franx well enough, even if I felt much of the world building tended towards what one would expect with stock fantasy.


I've been seeing a pile of Vikings-inspired fantasy in recent years, and if that is your horn of mead, then by all means, dip into this action-packed adventure. I went into this without any preconceptions, and even though it's a spin-off of what looks to be a much-larger series, it did not hamper my enjoyment of the story.

I don't want to give too many spoilers, but we join Jarl Engier War-Blood as he leads his people through a cataclysm of almost apocalyptic proportions when their home is forcibly untethered through magic and brought to another land, filled with many strangers who might not have their best interests at heart. There're necromancers! Magic! Elves! Oh my! But Engier is a good bloke, and I was on board with his mission, so I hung in there while he did his thing.

So, here's the rub, if you're vibing for on-the-surface action and adventure, liberally flavoured with Norse mythology and magic, this may work for you. If you're a purist in terms of Norse-inspired stuff creeping into fantasy, then this probably won't work for you. This is also not the next lit-fantasy novel that mixes nuanced writing with high concept. 

I switched off my brain and just let the story spool out while I did household chores and stuff. And I will definitely be listening to more of JD Franx's books, because they are just that – fun. 


* Yes, I admit it, I'm absolute Simon Vance fangrrrl and the day he narrates one of my books I will die a happy woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment