Friday, March 26, 2021

Dead Acre by Rhett C Bruno and Jaime Castle

Every once in a while I like to mix things up a little and read something that's pulpy and fun. Or, in this case, should I rather say listen to. Dead Acre cropped up in my recommended titles courtesy of my Audible subscription, and because it was a quick read (and included), I gave it a spin.


I see in the blurb that they peg this story as a Witcher-meets-Dresden-Files and while I haven't read the latter, I do admit to being somewhat of a Geralt of Rivia kinda gal. So yep, if you're into a weird west setting chock full of monsters, then James Crowley's dry wit and wry outlook on his unlife as an immortal monster hunter – or Hand of God – may well scratch that itch.

Dead Acre doesn't offer me anything new that I haven't already seen in countless horror RPGs, films, and urban fantasy settings. Hells, it even has a bit of a noir edge to it, which I felt added some good flavour. There's even a sweet little reversal in terms of expectations relating to the Big Bad at the end. I'll admit, I didn't *quite* see that one coming. And while I didn't get my socks knocked off completely, I'll quite happily say that I was entertained, and that's what counts. 

A word on Roger Clark, who does the narration for Dead Acre. He has A VOICE on him. That alone makes this title a welcome addition to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment