Sunday, May 16, 2021

Lords of the North (The Last Kingdom #3) by Bernard Cornwell

I admit that the books and the TV series are blurring considerably for me, especially since I've let some time elapse since I read Lords of the North (The Last Kingdom #3) by Bernard Cornwell, and the actual writing of the review – so here goes. 


As always, I love the fact that Cornwell makes history leap off the pages, and I particularly enjoy Uhtred's outlook on life. He's pragmatic and proud, and often impulsive, and has a habit of ending up in situations where he is a linchpin for the positioning of others to take power – so in a way he's a kingmaker rather than anyone who might become a king himself. Though I'd hazard to say he'd do a better job than some of these kings. 

In book three, we see Uhtred, thoroughly over King Alfred, going north to follow his destiny of facing his adoptive father's killer and perhaps also taking a stab at regaining his ancestral home. Only things rarely go as planned when it comes to Uhtred. This is also where we see the nun Hild coming into her own. While in the TV series, their relationship is platonic, in the novels, this is not the case. But he respects her decision in the end when she returns to the service of her god.

We also see how the early obsession with the relics of saints is somewhat absurd and slightly macabre, and how religion itself was used to bludgeon people into blind obedience. Definite track-laying for the church's power in future years. 

Uhtred himself has a harrowing journey that sees him enduring betrayal and slavery, only to return stronger than ever to reclaim his power and to come up against enemies from his distant past. Yet his ultimate goal, retaking Bebbanburg, still lies outside of his grasp. We do also see the arrival of such wonderful characters such as Finan and Sihtric, who are both firm favourites of mine from the TV series.

All in all, this is an enjoyable read. I'm glad I'm stretching out my reading of Cornwell's books, because they are something to be savoured. As always, I suspect it's tricky writing historical fiction around major events – so there may be some bending of the facts, but these stories have done so much to bring this historical period to life for me, warts and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment