Monday, May 24, 2021

When Women Ruled the World: Six Queens of Egypt by Kara Cooney

Anyone who knows me will understand how deeply fascinated I am by Egypt's ancient history, and I'm particularly interested in digging up stories about the women who ruled this ancient nation during times when the rest of the world was largely patriarchal. When Women Ruled the World: Six Queens of Egypt by Kara Cooney most certainly scratched that itch for me, with Cooney taking a deep dive into the lives of six female rulers, and touching on the lives of Merneith, Sobekneferu, Tausret, Hatshepsut, Nefertiti, and of course the inimitable Cleopatra VII. 


While on one hand, I really enjoyed these profiles of amazing women who took the reins and wielded the power they seized, to varying degrees of success, I did feel as if Cooney's writing erred on the side of being too ideologically possessed at times. She frames the stories of these rulers in modern, feminist terms and ideas of feminine power – through a modern lens – rather than seeing their lives for what they were: products of their time. The sour cherry for me were comparisons to Hillary Clinton's political machinations – a little on the rich side for me, too, with a US-centric flavour that mars the overall impact of the work.

This being said, there was still much to ponder, if you can look past Cooney wearing her feminism on her sleeve. While I don't agree with the author's assessments on why certain events played out the way they did, it was still great to see a book that focused on the history of female rulership. As an author myself, this offered a plethora of story seeds to turn over and consider. If anything, When Women Ruled the World has offered me a jumping-off point for further research, and Cooney has done an excellent job of humanising historical figures that up until this point were merely names and perhaps photos of statutes or cartouches for me up until now.

A mention of the Audible download, as this was the audiobook that I listened to – good overall quality in terms of the production. So no complaints there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment