Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Tremendous Trifles by GK Chesterton

I'm not sure who suggested I read Tremendous Trifles by GK Chesterton, but for some reason I'm pretty sure it was Neil Gaiman in one of the videos of his that I watched. This little volume is a collection of short essays, each of which can be devoured in mere minutes – which makes them perfect for someone like me who often doesn't have the energy for longer works on the best of days. 


I'd describe his writing as whimsical, filled with wonder, and often a sly jab of humour. You never know what you're going to get one moment to the next as Chesterton ponders nature, the human condition, and the world around him. He strikes me as the type of person you'd love to have at your dinner table, because he'd be able to entertain you for hours on all manner of subjects. And he'd also succeed in making you look at everything with a different lens from the one you're accustomed to – I can appreciate that!

His essays are warm and filled with uncommon wisdom – I'll definitely see if I can pick up a physical copy of one of his books so that I can pop it into my permanent library. This is definitely the sort of writer who would appeal to those of us prone to indulge in bouts of hermeneutics. Chesterton was rather prolific, so he definitely bears a closer look. This little volume was an absolute little treasure – highly recommended. 



No comments:

Post a Comment