Friday, April 29, 2011

Yeah, well, I know it’s been quiet…

I decided to give myself a hiatus from blogging this past week. This is mainly because it was a long weekend and I’d flown up to KwaZulu Natal to visit some friends, but also just because this is the one hellish week in the South African year where public holidays really mess up the programme, so to speak. Newspaper print deadlines happen no matter what the public do on their off days.

I usually write my blog posts while at the office, during down time between deadlines and considering that we only had three work days this week… I’m sure you get the picture.

At present everything’s a case of “hurry up and wait”. After hours I’m knee-deep in edits on assorted manuscripts for Lyrical Press, which means I’m not getting nearly enough time for my own writing. That being said, I’m making progress on What Sweet Music They Make, and am almost done with a batch of beta critique from one of my writing partners. With this completed, I’ll be going in guns blazing to purge gremlins and add layering, before I submit to my harshest betas.

It’s still going to be a while before I am ready for the submission process. This weekend, however, I’m doing something exciting. I’m collaborating with the BlackMilk Productions team to throw together some artwork for the novella. Whether this will eventually be used as cover art is debatable. After all, publishers know best what works for their brand, but since I’ve had enough media experience, I reckon I’m going to give it a shot. I mean FFS, I majored in illustration and photography, and have been employed in the media industry for the past decade. I should know what I’m doing by now.

At best, I’ll have the cover art I want. At worst, I’ve got a limited-edition print I’ll be releasing when the novel is unleashed upon the world.

Things are happening with Inkarna. I’m not in a position to say what exactly but ja… I’ll remain cautiously optimistic. Let’s just say I’ll have a better idea what’s plotting by mid-May. So it’s a case of hurry up and wait. **sigh**

And if you want to be involved in the publishing industry, you do a helluva lot of waiting. Trust me. Because the wheels…they turn very slowly.


No comments:

Post a Comment